Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Where Each Path Leads.

                Sitting in a boat, cutting through the dense waters of the Amazon River, looking only to see deep rainforest on either side, I found myself in the most amazing educational experience of my entire life. At my high school a program was run at the end of each year called the Extended Study Week (ESW). Students traveled all over the world, focusing on specific subjects. I was lucky enough to travel to Peru to do community service with tribes there. In that one week, I gained a curiosity for international development, a work field I am considering pursuing in the future.
                My school made me and my senior class their guinea pigs for their new teaching method. My worst educational experience was this year, when I had two teachers for my most important class; humanities. This class covers 4 credits per year of high school; it’s the deciding factor for graduating, and now had two separate people to report to.  Both teachers graded differently, had different discipline methods, and worst of all, different ideas about the curriculum. The worst scenario, was when I received a bad grade on a quiz and sought out the teacher who did not grade it for answers, and was accused of “going to mommy, when daddy said no”. The classroom, in my opinion, should have one direction, not two leading different ways.
(Word count: 210)

No comments:

Post a Comment